So I’ve been working along on the new hat for my oldest daughter (I’ll post an update on that soon) and that brought something to mind that I’d thought of a while back and then never acted on. I like the hats that I’ve made – but they’re fairly basic and simple. I’ve been going for warmth here, not style. But I’ve seen a lot of girls’ hats that have cute embellishments and such on them, so I’d been wanting for a while to find a pattern to be able to make flowers to put on the girls hats.
I went on Ravelry a few days ago and decided that I would look around on there – with so many free patterns available, I knew there was bound to be something I could use. What I discovered – is that flowers are apparently something that are much easier to crochet than knit, at least judging by the number and types of patterns I was seeing. So I figured that maybe it was about time to bring the crochet hooks back out and give crocheting another try. Flowers are small, so I thought maybe I could manage one or two without the pain I’d had before.
I think I’ve realized something… When I crocheted before, I never knew how to correctly hold the yarn to get tension. One of the convoluted things I used to do was to stop after each stitch and tighten the yarn – I would actually pretty much drop it in between stitches. I never had the yarn running through my fingers until I started knitting. But now, when I crochet – I simply hold the yarn the same way I do when I knit, in my left hand, which works perfectly for crocheting right-handed.
I can’t believe how much easier it is to crochet this way! I still don’t hold the hook the way I’ve seen other people hold it, but my method is a lot more streamlined now – and so far I haven’t had any hand pain at all. I’ve only made two small flowers, mind you – but that’s still amazing to me.
So yes, I’m strange. I crochet right-handed, knit left-handed – and well, am pretty much ambidextrous in most other things, including writing.
I started off with a flower to embellish my youngest daughter’s hat, which is in a variegated yarn in shades of pink, purple and white. I chose a couple of pink yarns that I had left over from making bunnies last spring and made a simple flower. I liked the look of the flower in general, but thought it needed something just a little – more – on the hat, so I went digging through my jewelry box and found an off-white button to put in the middle. I used the tail end of the yarn from beginning the flower to connect the button and flower to the hat – and I think it turned out really cute!
It may also look familiar – I used the photo below as a main ingredient in re-designing this site tonight… And the flower is featured prominently as well. I love how the site looks – and hope you do too!
Here it is on my daughter:
Tonight I made a second flower -this time I found a cool antique-ish looking gold button to put in the middle. And you can’t tell in the photos, but the white yarn is some of what I had left over from making the girls’ shrugs last year – it has a strand of glittery stuff going through it too.
This flower is for another hat that I made a while back for my 8-year-old. She hasn’t been wearing it lately – instead my oldest daughter has been wearing this hat while I get her new one made. But I have the feeling that my 8-year-old will reclaim the hat once she sees the cute flower I added to it tonight, lol!
It’s a very simple pattern – called Flower Magnets. I can see a lot of other uses for these too – I’m already scheming on ways I can attach them to ponytail holders or hair clips.