This time of year I really struggle with being stuck in the house so much and feeling cooped up. It’s gray and cold and snowy outside, and especially after all of the holiday decorations are down and put away, every place just looks dull.
I posted earlier about how I decided to try making flowers to spice up my daughters’ winter hats a little bit – I think it was as much a way to brighten up this wintertime existence as anything else.
Tonight I finished my oldest daughter’s new hat – the same basic roll-brim pattern that I’ve used before. But I did two things to it afterward that I think really make a huge difference and turn it from just a ‘hat’ into a ‘really cute hat’.
Only a couple of days before my daughter lost her previous hat, I’d taken a few minutes and fashioned a simple pom-pom to adorn the top of it. I never even took a picture of the hat afterward, and it was gone so soon that I never had the chance to. But it added a lot of personality to the hat and my daughter loved the addition. So tonight as soon as her new hat was finished she asked for a pom-pom for this hat – as well as a flower, like the ones I’d made for her sisters’ hats.
Not 30 seconds after I’d finished the pom-pom, my youngest daughter decided that she just had to have one for her hat too (never mind that I’d asked her weeks ago, only to get firmly turned d0wn). So I spent a few minutes making her one too. It really doesn’t take very long to make a pom-pom or to crochet a simple flower – but it makes such a difference when adding these things to a project!
Yes, it is a gigantic pom-pom – I had ‘just enough’ but also slightly ‘too much’ yarn left over so figured I’d just use it all up. If nothing else, I’ll be able to pick her out in a crowd, lol… I may take the scissors to it and give it a bit more of a trim after I see how it looks on her tomorrow.
For the previous hat flowers, I’d used buttons for the center – just ones that I dug up in my jewelry box. My own mom always had a ‘button box’ – she sewed a lot, and her button collection had some of the most unique and fun buttons I’d ever seen. I only have about a half-dozen, collected from who knows where – but I’d managed to find two that worked perfectly with the flowers. Not so much this time though – so I found myself off to the only store open late into the evening that might hopefully sell some kind of interesting buttons. I had no luck in their small sewing section – but did find a package of sparkly flower-shaped ones with the scrapbooking supplies. And I think this button was the perfect addition to the flower and the hat!
I have no pictures (yet) of the girls in their new (and newly embellished) hats, because they were both in bed by the time the hats were done. But I’m sure I’ll get more than few in the morning and will share them after that.
Now I just have to figure out what to work on next – I hate not having a project to pick up at any given time. I know some knitters have many (many) projects all on the needles at once, but I seem to work best one at a time, at least right now. I’m thinking I’d like to get at least one more pair of socks done this winter – but I’m ready to try a different method this time. Whether that entails magic loop, 2 circulars or what, I have no idea yet. I’ll have to see what seems interesting and what needles I have on hand – I’m really intrigued by the idea of interchangeable needle sets, but that’s going to have to wait a while. Or even though I’m out of hats to embellish – I can still make a few more crocheted flowers to brighten up my mood and my day.