After 2 months (and two separate attempts), I have a finished sock for my 8-year-old daughter. I can’t believe how long this one simple project has taken – in part because I did start over when I was more than halfway done, but also due to an illness and a very busy family life as well. In any case, not only is the first sock done, but I have already cast on and begun the second sock – not wanting to leave it, because ‘Second Sock Syndrome’ was already threatening and I knew I’d have a very unhappy daughter if she didn’t end up with an entire pair of socks.
This was an interesting sock to knit – mostly because of that different ‘forethought’ heel. Even after the heel was done and I was working on the foot and toe sections, the sock was basically split into front and back sections instead of starting and ending each row in the middle of the heel area. And the sock does still lie flatter front to back than it does on its side, as you can see here:
My middle daughter happened to be away at a sleepover when I actually finished the sock, so I had her older sister try it on instead. It fit her perfectly – which means that it’ll be somewhat large for the foot it’s intended for. But that’s ok – I did make the foot portion longer on purpose, not wanting it to get outgrown this summer before she even has a chance to wear the pair next fall.
Besides, at this rate, it may take me until fall to get the second sock done anyway! Especially since I plan on casting on at least one other project too – I’m already very tired of this pattern and need some variety. I’m not exactly sure what yet – but I’ve got a few ideas.
Here’s the start of sock #2 – hopefully it’ll continue to grow…