So, you could maybe call me a tad obsessed?
Or perhaps that it’s a simple yet interesting pattern…
Or just maybe that it’s a fairly quick knit and a good summertime option since it’s small and doesn’t fill your lap up with hot, heavy yarn…
But I have made yet another Snookie tech cover.
This one was from the same skein of yarn as the first two – but it pretty much finished it off. Which is a good thing because I was getting a bit tired of the gray, even though it is a pretty color.
So this time I also knitted in the round, but did the cabled version. It was an interesting mathematical challenge to figure out exactly where the 8 pattern stitches needed to go, adjusted for the 3 dpns I was using – and I actually had to even ask my mathematically-inclined hubby for help because the whole thing was giving me a headache. LOL
But it worked out very well – a total of 68 stitches that broke down to this: first needle (8 stitches, then set of 8 pattern stitches, then 8 stitches), second needle (18 stitches), third needle (set of 8 pattern stitches, then 18 stitches). Once I got the pattern stitches set, after the first few rows, it was very easy to see exactly where they needed to go as I knitted along. I only made one mistake – you can see it in the twisting cable where I purled instead of knitted for one row. And there’s definitely a bit of laddering here or there, although I was really trying to keep my stitches nice and tight as I switched needles every time.
Eh, live and learn. And knit another Snookie… :) The main reason behind making this one though – was that I was able to put a gift card I won to good use (along with some scrimping) and bought myself an actual Nook. I’d been wanting one so very badly – I love to read after all… And of course once I bought it, I just HAD to make it a nice cover.
Here’s the final outcome – I took a couple of different photos with different flash levels because it’s hard to see both the yarn color and the pattern correctly in one photo with this camera, for some reason.
Oh yes, the other change I made was to add a drawstring at the top to hold the Snookie closed. I just braided 3 strands of yarn tightly together and wove it through the ribbing at the top and voila! Instant drawstring, and it works perfectly. The case is slightly big – it doesn’t stretch hardly at all when I slide the Nook inside (it’s in there for these photos), but that’s ok.
And yes, I am currently making one more (final!) version of this project – with a different kind of yarn completely. I’m using a straight wool in a pretty greenish hue that I bought a little while back (it’s the Paton’s Classic Wool I posted previously). And although I’m still knitting in the round, I’m using a circular needle that I just bought specifically for this project. It’s a size 9 this time, with an 11” cord length. It’s a little hard to knit with such a short cord, but we’ll see how it goes.
And then, finally – I’m going to try something different for a change. I’m thinking maybe a few headbands finally – I still haven’t started any of those yet. Or maybe I’ll finally finish the smock top. Or start something different altogether.
Or maybe all of the above, who knows!